Tuesday, August 5, 2014

888,246 Poppies Pour Like Blood From The Tower of London To Remember The Fallen Soldiers of WWI


Pictures via Historic Royal Palaces

This summer, The Tower of London will be surrounded by a sea of Crimson.  This installation conceived by artist Paul Cummings and designer Tom Piper will commemorate each and every British or Colonial fatality during WWI. 

" Blood Swept Land and Seas of Red" will be unveiled on August 5 (the first day Britain became involved in WWI) and more poppies will be planted until the last poppy is planted on Nov. 11(Veterans Day).  A total of 888,246 poppies will cover the moat of The Tower of London.
 The flowers will be sold for 25GBP a piece to raise money for 6 charities.  I think this is a wonderfully, brilliant idea.  I wish I could see it in person, it is so impressive.


No comments: