Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees


Last night I saw this touching movie.  I read the book a couple of years ago and have passed it on to many friends.  It is on my list of favorites.  I waited so long to see the movie because Rachel Hope saw it when it first came out and said it was good but bring the Kleenex.  So, being that I cry at the first drop of sentiment, I had to prepare myself and be in the mood for a good cry.  From about the mid point on, tears were running down my face and the paper towel I grabbed last minute from the women's restroom was soaked through. 

 I really liked the movie.  Usually, when I've read the book first, I don't like the movie.  I thought the casting was brillant!  I especially liked Sophie Okonedo as May and Queen Latifah as August.
Okonedo was masterful in portraying her over sympathetic, semi-retarded character.  It is worth the price of admission! (Having said that, I must admit that my friend Cynthia treated me to the show, but I would gladly shell out 11 bucks to see it!)

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Actually, GBG treated us both to the movie. Free movie tickets for my 8 year anniversary! Thanks GBG. Ditto to everything Janie said about this wonderful movie. I love a good cry.