Julio, over at Beaux Mondes Design, wrote a piece on a Masquerade Party he was to attend by Handmade Events. This looked really fun to me, so I looked it up. I found that they did "pop up" events in San Francisco, L.A. and San Diego. Not only did they do Masquerade Partys, but they also put on a White Party. Now, I have wanted to do something like this ever since I saw a post about the white party that is done every year in Paris. I put my name on the list noting that I would have a party of eight. A "pop up" party is one where all the participants do not know where the party is going to be, outside the fact that it is going to be in say, San Diego. At 3:00pm they text you the location of the party and at 5:00pm they check you in to begin to set up your table. You have two hours to do this and at 7:00pm you begin your dinner. The rule is you must wear white and have a white tablecloth, you can use other colors on a limited basis, but the overall effect is white. It can be any variation of white.
They provide you with tables, chairs and a white trash bag. At the original White Party in Paris, you must bring your own table and chairs. I am thankful that Hand Made Events provides this.
Here everyone is arriving to set up their tables. They encourage you to dress to the nines and set a beautiful table complete with china, flowers, crystal and silver. You can, however, be as simple as you like. I guess last year was unseasonably cool, which gives me hope because Sept. is usually our hottest month of the year in So. Cal.
I live in Orange County, in the middle of L.A. and San Diego. I chose to be put on the San Diego list because the traffic to San Diego is much lighter, so even though L.A. is closer, I will get to San Diego faster. I'm considering renting a hotel room for the night, but I am not sure.



At the beginning of the dinner, they have everyone wave their white napkin. Everyone is free to enjoy their food, conversation, the beautiful view and sometimes there is dancing after. The dinner is over at 10:00. They provide you with a white trash bag and you clean up your mess and off you go.
I've put my name on the list, but it doesn't mean I have a spot. I don't know when I will find out for sure. In previous years, the cost was $25.00 per person. BTW, my Handsome Husband thinks this is a stupid idea and is annoyed with the prospect of toting all our belongings and food to this event. He will probably have a good time and will want to do it again, that's how it usually goes. Once I get him there, he enjoys himself. He is way more social than I and I usually have to drag him away from the new friends he has made. When I told him we would shop for a great all white ensemble for him, his spirits perked up a little (HH is a fashionista). I am a little intimidated with the food part of the whole thing, but I'm sure I'll be able to put together a satisfying menu with the help of my friends and all the creative people in blogland who share their great ideas.
*All the pictures above are from Le Diner a San Diego's facebook page. I don't know any of these people and I have not attended this event before.
You can find more information here. This link also provides the e-mail address to sign yourself up.











2 comments:
that looks like so much fun! do you have a cute cart to haul it all in? i would stay the night, make it a really fun event. my husband would never do it, i will live vicariously thru you~
can i beg you to dump your word test when we post comments, i have to try 2 and 3 times and sometimes i just give up and go away... they are tooooo hard to read 99% of the time :-( i monitor my comments if you are worried about spam~
I am really loving your posts about this event. I have all the confidence in the world that you are going to pull off a gorgeous table! Funny about hubby...mine is the social one, too, but I have to drag him out! lol!
XO,
Jane
Post a Comment