
Please join Susan, at
Between Naps on the Porch for more beautiful tablescapes. Well, I can't believe I actually got a tablescape published today. I've been so busy printing ceremony programs and place cards. It would be easy peasy, but my printer has decided to act up on me. So I actually took at break from all the wedding stuff and put this up. I will try to comment on as many tablescapes as I can, but I might not get to them until Sunday because the wedding is SATURDAY!!! Please forgive me if you don't hear from me until then.

The Handsome Husband and I made a joint effort for our Memorial Day celebration. I did all the decorating and he did all the cooking!

I set the table in red, white and blue. I hung my paper lanterns from Roger's Gardens. I had to hang them with twine because when I went to get my fishing line, all I had was an empty spool! So, I just made do with what I had.


The centerpiece has five flags, each represents a member of our family that has served in the military.
HH's grandfather - Levine - WWII - Army
My grandfather - Charles - WWII - Army
My uncle - Author-Vietnam-Army
My father - Brian-Vietnam-Navy
Our nephew - Jacob-Coast Guard
I put sand in the urn to keep them standing.

I loved the way the sun was shining through the paper lanterns!

I got these plates at Home Goods and the bowls came in a set of two (one striped and one polka dot). I put our dessert in them.

The linens are from Roger's Gardens in Corona del Mar.

I picked the flowers from the garden. Geraniums, jasmine, white roses and sweet memories. Please forgive me for the awful photos of the food, but it sure tasted good!

The Handsome Husband made pulled pork for pulled pork sandwiches. It was so incredibly delicious. We used Tyler Florence's recipe from the food network website.

We then made the most fantastically delicious cole slaw. I got the recipe from Libby, of Libby Twirl and Taste's, blog. My husband and I agree that it is the best coleslaw we've ever had. It is sweet but then has a slightly spicy end note. My kids even liked it!

We ended the evening with 3 desserts. Apple pie and ice cream, brownies and this southern pudding recipe from when I was a kid. I haven't had it in years and when I was at Lucilles awhile back, they had a version of it. But it didn't taste like my mom's, so I was disappointed. Then I saw it on a recipe box and made it. It still didn't taste like my mom's. I couldn't figure out what the difference was (my mom passed away 4 years ago, so I didn't have a source to go t0). I then decided to use BANANA pudding instead of vanilla pudding and HORRAY!!!! It tasted just like when I was a kid and I was one happy camper! It is banana pudding, sliced bananas and vanilla wafers on the bottom.
33 comments:
Wonderful patriotic table! The food looks delish!
I can hear and feel your wedding excitement in your words, Janie!
WOW, what a wonderful Memorial Day table! I love that you have placed a flag for each member of your family in the armed services -- a very touching tribute.
And goodness, that food looks delicious!!!
Oh my gosh, so cute! Look at those paper lanterns! I thought they were illuminated before you said the sun was coming through them. And the gingham tablecloth... polka dot and stripe bowls. I'll stop now. haha I just love everything. Enjoy every minute of the wedding this weekend!! I'll pray that it goes perfectly as planned! :) PS...Lucille's is my favorite restaurant ever! We used to go to the one in Fullerton all the time when I was going to Cal State Fullerton. ;)
VERY pretty decor and setting and food looks yummy... sorry I missed that gathering... darn!
Gorgeous tablescape!
Gorgeous husband!
Gorgeous food!
It doesn't get much better than that! Love that tablescape!
Just perfect table and decorations for the Memorial Day holiday! Beautifully done! I really like the flags on the table too! Miss Bloomers/Sonia
Oh I love this! I like the mix of different bowl patterns. It looks like you had great weather too!
Janie, I loved everything you pulled together for this tablescape,... especially the way you honored the veterans in your families. Beautiful table and yum food, what better way to spend the holiday!? Thanks for sharing! ~Katy
Great luck with all things with the wedding! I know its an exciting and memorable time... try to take time to smell the flowers and enjoy the little moments with your daughter Saturday... in the rush, remember to capture your own sweet memories! (sorry to post twice, but I couldnt go without best wishes for you all!)
Looks like you and your husband made a great memorial day tablescaping/cooking team!
What a great looking table! I love your beautiful colors, dishes and those latterns! Glorious!
The food looks so delicious, too.
BE a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
I really like this table... especially the flags in the urn. Thanks for the cole slaw review too!
Wow, you went all out, I love the patriotic lanterns hanging above! And that pudding looks soooo good!
Love those lanterns over your table. How festive...I like that flags represent each of your family members in the services.
Janie, too funny, Bob got a review too. Great table and family tribute with the flags. I love it. Also, we had the same 'nilla wafer and banana + banana pudding dessert growing up too. I think it was on the vanilla wafer package. : )
Can't wait for the wedding. I'll take lots of pics to blog and share with you. Happy first daughter's wedding week! Love, Cyn
Oh this is Fabulous!! So patriotic. I LOVE the paper lanterns. And the flags! It's a wonderful tribute to the military family. Wonderful job, thanks for sharing. Have a great wedding week!
What a perfect Memorial Day tablescape. And you can use it for Independence Day too! beautiful colors and dishes!...Christine
Oh beautiful!!! I love the check T/C and the bowls are so cute!! You did a wonderful job decorating and the lanterns are awesome!
Michelle
This looks so festive! I cannot believe you did all of that with the wedding coming up so soon! Love your paper lanterns, and how nice that each flag represents a military family member. Those polka dot and striped bowls are so cute! Have a wonderful wedding! laurie
* WOW! What an honorable tribute here!!! And EVERYTHING is beautiful~ from "soup to nuts"!!! ANNNND, I MUST say, you and your darling husband are SUCH a cute couple too!!! Lovely to see!
Many thanks,
Linda in AZ *
Great celebration, love the setting in the backyard. And thank hubby for helping out so wonderfully.
Enjoy the moments, each and everyone will hold a treasure.
Cheers,
Candy
Your table is just lovely. Your backyard setting is wonderful. It all looks so pretty.
What a lovely table. Love the lanterns!
Wow, you went all out for Memorial Day. I love those lanterns and the food looks delicious. The flag centerpiece is great, even more so because of the family remembrances.
What a fabulous table with so many memories and tributes to your family who served our country. Thank you to all of them. Those paper lanterns and the cute bowsl make your table so unique - way to go! I'm so honored that you tried our coleslaw recipe and that ya'll liked it. That makes me so happy.
Have a blessed and marvelous day.
Happy Twirls
Hi Janie,
Let me think, there are soooo many things I loved about this post. The tribute to family members who served in the military had to be my favorite. Thank you to them. Ok now lanterns, table, food all fantastic. I love pulled pork and I will have to check out that coleslaw, sounds yummy. I remember that pudding a wafer recipe. My mom used to make it to. Thanks for the fun and Happy Wedding.
~Maryrose
PS - I love Rogers Gardens too.
I love the paper lanterns. Your guests must have really enjoyed their meal at this event and it makes your yard seem even more stunning than it already is! Head on over to my blog and if you aren't following yet, please take a look around and if you like what you see, click on the "Follow" button. This way we can inspire each other often!
Janie,
You really have a talent for tablescapes!! All of your ideas are fresh and doable. The flags for every family member that served was so kind and thoughtful. The dishes are beautiful as well as your flower arrangement. There are just too many things to mention!! I am sure your guests were impressed!!
All the food looked great to me!! I like Tyler Florence. I am going to look up that recipe. Coleslaw is one of my summer faves. Quick to make too (well I love to chop~strange, aren't I?)
Enjoy the rest of your week, Janie!! :-)
xoxo
Jane
What a beautiful backyard! The food looks delicious :)
All the best,
Allison
I just love your tablescape! The centerpiece idea is just wonderful. I may have to use that! :-) Good luck with the wedding. I know everything will go great!
Wow, I LOVE this! Those paper lanterns are wonderful!!! It all looks so great!!!
Oh, I loved the sentiment/symbolism with the flags. Good luck with the wedding.
Hi Janie,
Still catching up on tablescapes this week.
Oh I love your patriotic table and all the lanterns. Wonderful sentiment with the flags and yummy food, wow!
Glad you enjoyed and good luck with the wedding, blessings to the bride and groom!
Got my son's next year in June!
Linda Q
Post a Comment