
Please join Susan at
A Southern Daydreamer for more outdoor treasures.

After we went to Bryce Canyon, we headed over to Moab, Utah and Arches National Park. It showcases beautiful red rock canyons with the mountains that are worn away.


This arch was in Arches National Park. There are alot of beautiful arches there of all sizes.


We then headed to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. Mesa Verde is made up of several Native American Indian ruins. The Indians were cliff dwellers and they built their houses/towns on the sides of the cliffs. They were usually tucked away under a very steep ledge with a huge steep drop of the edge. This one you could walk down to, but some we had to climb up ladders to visit.

As you can see, there were no railings, nets or barriers of any kind along the edges of their homes. Children played here. I was scared just to walk 3 feet from the edge. I can't imagine living here on a daily basis. What if you were a sleepwalker like my middle daughter? You would have to tie her down in bed at night.

We had to climb these ladders to different levels and they were steep with no protection if you fell. It was kind of scary. Don't look down.

This trip to the National Parks was very interesting and fun. We drove through Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado. We saw the most amazingly beautiful scenery and it was nice bonding for our family. We will remember it always.
27 comments:
Oh, I love this! We did a very similar one in AZ called Walnut Canyon. My goodness, it was kind of freaky and how did they ever raise their children there! Maybe a lot didn't make it to adulthood, scary thought. Have a great week, Cindy
I blog here.
Janie, these are lovely photos. There are also familiar treasures here reminiscent of our trip last May. I always love the arches. Have a great week!
I would just go ahead and jump off if I lived there...I fall off 2" heels!
That is one area that I haven't had the oportunity to visit. Your photos make me want to go.
Rhonda
Oh, you were pretty close to our part of the world. . .Our kids love to take their jeep and go to Moab to climb the rocks, did you see any while you were there? Have a great day!
Love the pics..I am afraid of heights though! Thanks for your visit!
What a cool arch in the rocks! I don't know if I would have been able to climb up those ladders, they don't seem really sturdy to me. Of course, to me the only way they would be sturdy is laying flat on the ground ! : )
Janie, all of the pics are fabulous, but the second and fourth shots took my breath away! They are MAGNIFICENT. It looks like a storybook place.
Happy Outdoor Wednesday...
XO,
Sheila :-)
It's called Darwin's Theory, nowadays,The Darwin Awards. Anyone weak, feeble, blind, or dumb enough to stay away from the edge didn't survive. LOL. A beauteous place for sure.
No way would you get me on one of those ladders. I am such a sissy.
Very nice photos, I love the red rock.
I enjoy places like these through photos. Heights scare the daylights out of me.
So...thanks for letting me take the virtual tour.
Blessings!
Becky K.
Hospitality Lane
Hi Janie! I love the arches...so unusual and colorful! I'm afraid I would have had to stand below on the Mesa Verde tour! I'm too afraid of heights! You do have a good point about the children!...Debbie
Gorgeous place and photos, Janie!!
Wow! It is beautiful there. I'm not sure I could do the climbing-I am afraid of heights.
Carolyn
Well, I don't like heights. But I sure love rocks! And these are the ultimate rocks!
Brenda
Hi Janie, your pictures are awesome! Wow, wow, wow! Happy Outdoor Wednesday.
Barb
Janie, what fun you all had..the memories are priceless..the rock formations are incredible..Happy OD Wednesday...hugs ~lynne~
Your photos are spectacular! I looked back at the ones from Bryce Canyon also, I've been there in the snow and always wanted to go back after the thaw. What place is that beautiful all year?!
Thanks for stopping by the hut, I haven't been here since the flower boxes in Charleston, but now I've bookmarked and joined your other followers. It's hard to keep up with everyone on OW, and I don't want to loose you again!
My grandmother used to say that looking over the edge of something "made her seat draw" LOL Yikes you are so right when you say how scarey it would be.
Heck I admire you for climbing up there AND taking the shot... I dont think i wouldve had the courage... heights are my achiles heel.
I live in Utah and have never been to Bryce canyon... :) hmmm looks like i need to get down there huh?
Thanks sooo much for sharing -- GREAT shots!
TTFN~~Claudia ♥
WOW... pretty photos... we never went inside the park but drove by it... I guess that doesn't count... looks like we missed out!
What beautiful scenery!!...what a great place to visit and you took really great pictures!
Thanks for visiting and Happy OW!!
Wow! I would have used all of the free space on my memory card! What lovely pics! Thanks for sharing!
xooxoxoxo
Donna Marie
Fantastic photos Janie! We have done that vacation too. Its one of my favorites! I love the peacefulness of Mesa Verde too... I hope you have a fabulous week!
~Really Rainey~
You've taken some spectacular photos of some of the most beautiful parks in the U.S. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Simply lovely images! It looks like you had a wonderful time exploring.
Joyce M
Very interesting. I'm afraid I might have to pass on the ladder climbs. I can't imagine how it was to live there for them. Thanks for the informative post.
Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com
I love your vacation photos and they make me want to revisit that part of our country but that ladder looks very scary to me. Not sure I would climb it as I think it would be worse going down.
Joyce
Grand and beautiful vistas! Looks like wonderful places to visit! ~~Rhonda
christmasnotebook.com
Post a Comment