Thursday, July 3, 2014

Sightseeing in London


 Buckingham Palace from St. James' Park

On day 2 of my solo expedition I thought I would head down to my favorite park and wander around, no real plan in mind.  I wanted to see the Churchill War Museums, but they were closed.  I took the District Line from Tower Hill to St. James' Park and began my 5.43 walking marathon.  Yes I mapped it out because it was a long, long, long walk!

Whitehall Palace and The London Eye from St. James' Park
 I just can't tell you how peaceful and beautiful this park is.  The water, grass, trees, flowers and various birds combine to make such a wonderfully relaxing spot.  Above is my favorite view from St. James.  The park is south of Buckingham Palace and runs the length of The Mall (where we will be lining up to see The Trooping of the Colour Saturday) and runs into Horse Guards Parade Ground. You then leave the park and around the corner is Big Ben and the Thames River.  So much to see in this small spot.  

Swans, ducks, various birds, and squirrels are abundant in the park and fun to watch. 

 Victoria Monument in front of Buckingham Palace

 After I left the park I headed towards the river and took in the iconic landmarks of London - Big Ben
 The House of Commons / Parliament Buildings
 I crossed the river and headed towards the London Eye.

By this time, I was starving. As I entered the walkway along the river featuring outdoor seating for the various restaurants, I spotted one that looked good to me.  
I sat outside with this stunning view and just soaked it all in as I rested my feet and enjoyed my lunch.  Which restaurant was this, you ask, you know, with the stunning view? McDonald's! Yep, I enjoyed an ice cold soda WITH ICE, a Big Mac and a salad.  The most delicious McDonalds ever!!!  This was a very warm day in the low 80's thus the importance of an ice cold drink. 
 I then went over to The London Eye and noticed a new park.  The Queen's Jubilee Gardens.  Wonderful shade to sit in on the grass, with street entertainment, a playground for kids and best of all- A CLEAN BATHROOM.  The price for this wonderful bathroom with an attendant in service was 50p - well worth it.
A pair of ducks joined me for a rest. 

 Whitehall Palace from Jubilee Walkway Bridge
 Jubilee Walkway Bridge
 The view from the bridge

Admiralty Arch

After crossing the bridge, I decided to go to Fortnum and Mason for some Lemon Curd.  We buy some every time we come to London and I might as well cross it off my list today.  I saw a sign that showed were you were and what was within 15 minute walking distance and Fortnum and Mason was listed just outside the 15 minute circle.  I went into the Corinthia Hotel ($1500 a night and very POSH and CHIC) and asked the concierge for directions.  
I was directed through Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square and on to Picadilly Circus.
I got a good look at the Blue Cockerel.
 The new artwork for the Fourth Plinth in London's Trafalgar Square, a bright blue cockerel symbolizing regeneration and strength, has been unveiled.
Titled Hahn/Cock, the 4.72m high piece is by German artist Katharina Fritsch and will be on display for 18 months.
 Beside Trafalgar Square heading towards Leicester Square is the beautiful St. Martin's in the Field Church.

I finally made it to Picadilly Circus and went on to find Fortnum and Mason. Its at least a half mile walk down the road.  Just when I think I have gone the wrong way, I spot it. 

Fortnum and Mason via Alamy

I love to look in their windows, they have the best displays, but unfortunately, the front of the store was covered in scaffolding, but luckily, they were open!
 I promptly found the lemon curd and put two bottles in my basket, then I wandered around the store looking for more delicious items.  I wish they gave out samples, because I would have bought more things if I could have been sure I would have liked them.  They sound so good, but I wasn't sure.  I ended up with some honey, strawberry jelly and toffee.

This is one of my favorite recipes for use of the lemon curd.

Make Pillsbury Grand Buttermilk Biscuits as directed.
Open them up
Spread butter
Broil to toast
Add lemon curd
Add Strawberry jelly
DELICIOUS

It is also a yummy filling for cupcakes!

I then retraced my steps back to Westminster Station ( didn't have to walk to the next station; St. James).  Yep 5.43 miles!


1 comment:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great tour, I so enjoyed all the pics.