I wanted to arrive by 9 but we arrived more about 9:30. I didn't get a front row view, but I got 2nd row, fortunately for me, the ladies in front of me were shorter than me!
At about 9:30 Guards lined the streets and 10:00 am the parade started. The parade is a celebration of the Queen's Official Birthday and has been going on since the 1700's. Trooping the Colour allows the troops of the Household Division to pay a personal tribute to the sovereign with great pomp and pageantry. Crowds lining the route and in St. James's Park listen to music performed by both foot and mounted bands. (taken from Wikipedia).
The first sighting of minor royals, extended family if you know what I mean. This bus was followed by a couple of Rolls Royces and a Jaguar containing Prince Andrew and others I did not know.
Then the Horse Guards.
Then to my delight, Camila, Kate-The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. Prince Harry cannot ride a horse in the parade yet because he is not a colonel. Once he becomes a colonel he will ride along with his brother, father and aunt on horseback behind the Queen.
Then came the Queen and Prince Phillip. The Queen rode a horse until 2006 and Prince Phillip just recently started riding in the carriage instead of horseback.
The King's Troop. The will go to Green Park and fire the canon.
Behind The Queen and Prince Phillip on horseback is Prince Charles and the Duke of Cambridge, William.
This is such a great even filled with pageantry. It is always the second Saturday in June. You should see it if you ever get a chance.










No comments:
Post a Comment